Vice President, Finance & Accounting
Reporting to the President, the VP of Finance & Accounting will be responsible for providing day-to-day leadership for the company’s accounting operations, financial reporting, IT and treasury activities. The VP, Finance & Accounting is part of the Executive Leadership Team, directs the company’s accounting and financial reporting policies in accordance with US GAAP, leads management reporting, and supervises accounting, finance, IT and administration departments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Key member of the Executive Leadership Team, responsible for Management and Operating Unit reporting, FP&A, and Business Intelligence.
- Responsible for all company accounting processes and functions, including timely and accurate recording and reporting of all financial transactions and system reconciliations.
- Manage various separate legal entities along with overseeing the consolidation process including intercompany eliminations for both internal and external reporting.
- Drive a timely monthly close process, with accurate accrual-based financials and insightful but abbreviated management summaries
- Interface with bank regarding financing, loan covenant compliance and line of credit maintenance.
- Internal management and departmental reporting, general ledger, accounts payable and receivable, fixed asset management, taxes and insurance
- Coordinate and oversee the year-end external audit process as well as third-party tax advisors.
- Oversee the cost and production accounting function which tracks inventory and numerous wine blends ensuring monthly cost assessments are made appropriately each period, plus regulatory requirements of such activity.
- Development of key financial policies and procedures, including implementing occasional upgrades of Microsoft Navision or other systems within the various operating departments.
- Identify cost control measures and initiatives to ensure that the organization is run in a cost-effective manner.
- Supervision of Accounting, Finance and IT teams, including a Finance Manager and an Assistant Controller.
- Support efforts of various functional teams, particularly the Sales Organization and management of the three-tier distribution network.
- Serve as the company’s expert for all accounting matters, partnering with other departments (Legal, Sales, IT, and HR) on structuring policies, and advising with respect to accounting and tax implications.
- With the President, direct and oversee domestic tax structuring, and tax-related policies and procedures.
- With an external firm, direct the preparation and timely filing of all required tax returns and other statutory filings.
- Work with Executive Team to develop materials for regular Advisory Board Meetings, including Long-Term Strategic Plans, short- and long-range departmental objectives, policies, and operating procedures.
- Current CPA designation, and or specific experience as a sitting Controller for 3+ years
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Business; MBA a plus
- Four to six years related experience and/or training
- Working knowledge of forecasting and financial reports
- Demonstrated ability to interpret economic conditions and anticipate the impact on the organization
- Basic competence in duties and tasks of supervised employees
- Working knowledge of data collection, data analysis, evaluation, and scientific method
- Ability to work with all levels of management
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills; able to manage priorities and workflow
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
- Proven leadership and business acumen skills
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and motivate subordinates
- Commitment to excellence and high standards
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate department staff members
- Proficient in company-designated accounting software programs
- Experience working within a wine and spirits environment a plus