SUSTAINABILITY & STEWARDSHIP – Purple is the New Green
At Purple Wine + Spirits, we have a system and set of beliefs that we feel reflect the best practices of sustainable production. We are proud to run one of the most eco-friendly, water-efficient, solar-enabled facilities in the industry.
How did we do it?
Our sustainable business practices include membership in the Sonoma County Green Business program, Business Environmental Alliance, Bay Area Green Business Program and the Wine Institute’s Sustainable Winegrowing Program. In 2005 we joined EPA Climate Leaders for voluntary greenhouse gas emissions baseline inventory and third party certification of our greenhouse gas emissions. Both our Graton and American Canyon wineries were accredited as Certified California Sustainable Wineries by the California Sustainable Winegrowing Alliance in October 2012.
Sustainable Milestones – over the past five years we’ve:
- Decreased wastewater generation by 52%
- Decreased natural gas use per case by 72% – from .025 therms to .007 therms
- Decreased electricity use per case by 40% – from .75 kWh to .45 kWh
- Decreased greenhouse gas emissions by 2,793 metric tons of CO2 – the equivalent of removing 583 cars from the road
- Recycled 90% of all winery and distillery packaging materials, diverting over 2,000 tons from local landfills